As chilly winds signal the onset of winter, Endeavour Energy have released simple tips to help customers stay warm and save money during cold weather.
“Household winter bills are typically the highest of the year,” said Endeavour Energy’s General Manager Network Services Scott Ryan.
“Heaters, electric blankets, long hot showers and more time spent inside staying warm are some of the common reasons why electricity consumption increases during cold weather. With a little bit of planning and a few simple tips, you can make informed decisions that keep you
warm and avoid blowing a hole in the family budget this winter.”
The top tips to keep energy costs under control this winter include:
- Take it down a notch – Set your heater’s thermostat to between 18 and 21°C, as every 1°C higher could increase your heater’s running costs by up to 10%.
- Seal leaks and save – Closing blinds and curtains to cover windows and stopping draughts under doors is one of the easiest and cheapest ways of lowering energy costs.
- Shut the door on wasted energy – Reduce the area you heat by closing internal doors and not heating rooms that are not in use.
- Stick to the limit – Hot water accounts for a large chunk of your power bill so try to avoid the temptation of longer showers to get warm.
- Use the right tool for the job – Portable bar radiators and fan heaters are cheap to buy but expensive to run. An energy-efficient heater might cost more to buy will save more money in the long run. The more stars on Energy Rating Label, the more you save.
Whatever the season, Mr Ryan said that the best way to save on energy bills is to be mindful of the ways you use energy and make sure you’re on the right energy plan to suit your circumstances.
For free and independent comparison of energy offers, go to the Australian Energy Regulator’s www.energymadeeasy.gov.au to find the best deal for your family.
This post is not sponsored by Endeavour Energy